Sunday, December 15, 2013

30 days of Thankfulness - day 11

Hey howdy hey! And welcome to the official day 11 blog of thankfulness.  Today is December 15th.  If we were going to get technical on the thankfulness thing, it should be November 11th...but it's not.  And I say again, I'm ok with that.

Today I'm thankful for friends.

Friends come to us in so many ways, with so many faces, and at just the right times.  Personally I choose to **seriously** shield myself from "friends".  I've had enough bad ones to know that things are not always what they seem when it comes to the whole "friends" scene.  There are many many people out there who want to call themselves "friends", but have ulterior motives are just saying what they know we want them to say.  I've had some "friends" like that.  Those people are no longer in my life.

I was annoyed today at the amount of work I had to deal with.  Some days are long, some are not so long, in my line of work it all depends on what people are talking about.  I had plans for today, I was going to clean the kitchen, vacuum the living room rug, wrap a few more presents, and yes...work.  Well it turns out there was a lot more to work on than I had expected.  The job is the priority though, so I started at 8am strong and went solid through 3pm.  I did stop for breakfast.  Don made an amazing breakfast casserole and honestly by the time it was ready I deserved a 20 minute hiatus from all that is excel.

Before I knew it, it was 12:30.  My neighbor has a handful of kiddos, and had a birthday party for two of them today.  The weather finally broke in a positive way, and they got their bounce house <3 p="">
At any rate - the thankful thing.

I have three, maybe four people here in South Carolina that I choose to consider my friends.  One of those ladies entertained my children for hours today while I worked and got some more wrapping knocked out.  Another one of them is my go-to absolute bestie.  She has been with me through some seriously crappy times - and we get together once a week for coffee.  I'm stoked to meet up with her every single Wednesday, especially since my Keurig completely crapped out last week (still hoping for some resolution via the Keurig customer service route).  Then there's my girl two doors down, the one that makes me smile and somehow always has a positive attitude, no matter what kind of goodies life may fling at her (and trust me, life flings plenty of poo her way).

It's hard for me to make friends, it always has been.  I've always been the type to just write people off if they hurt me or confused me or challenged me.  I guess maybe I guard my heart with a vengeance.  Always have.  A pastor once tried to make me believe that was a bad way of living.  I am now 37 years old and still genuinely believe that if I don't protect my heart, no one will - so I still disagree with that whole "bad way of living" theory.

Tonight I'm thankful for my real and true friends.  Those ladies that know me and love me anyway.  The ones that want me to be a part of their lives, and have shown me so many reasons why I want to be a part of theirs.  They are few and far between.  It's a "quality not quantity" concept.

I love my girls, and tonight, I am thankful for them.  They know who they are <3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment