Sunday, September 29, 2013

Football night in America

I just don't know what it is about that ball.  That football.  Football is America's sport.

It's almost funny.  Our government might just shut down in a few days.  Today, for just a few hours,  I forgot about all that.  I was (am) stressed about the possibility of missing a mortgage payment.  The hubs and I, we take great pride in our credit score.  Eight years now we've been paying the mortgage - more that what is due and continually on time.  Congress is confused, so it would seem - but we're not.  We know what matters.

Russell Wilson matters.  Every play we're Russellin.

Today I thank God for football and the Seattle Seahawks.  They gave us a reprieve from the daily concerns, the constant fear and worry over what the future may hold.  Watching the Seattle Seahawks today we forgot...for a minute, about the fears of the future.

I don't know what it is about football. Honestly does it really matter?  I found myself - literally - jumping up and down, yelling and clapping my hands in the middle of my living room today.  It was fantastic.  I was...for a moment...nothing more than a fan.

We all need to just stop our lives every now and then, and become simply a fan.  It was so funny, Paige's friend heard us yelling our heads off and came to the sliding glass door only to laugh at us.  He's probably 10 years old.  He giggled, made a pump fake action and said through the glass..."Football?".  I said "FOOTBALL!  GO SEAHAWKS!".  He laughed and said "I play tackle!".  Good for you kid.  You go play tackle.  3rd grade?  4th maybe?  No matter.  He has a love...it's called football.  He plays tackle, and he'll tell you so.

I think football is the only thing we have here in America...the only thing that we can count on.  The only constant.  Yeah yeah there's baseball (how about Mariano Rivera...what a freaking winner!) but football - football is America's sport.  I'm grateful for the chance that I am given, once a week, to just SHUT UP.  Shut up the computer, shut down the phone, shut off the smartphone and become absorbed in the game.  For 15 minutes, times four...I'm enraptured.  I'm crazy.  I'm a fool, freak, Seahawk fan...and it feels AMAZING.

I love my Hawks.

I love to let go.

I'm a lucky lucky girl.  I'll take what I can get.  Sorry Schaub...you did your best.  You just can't beat the 12th man.

Every play we're Russellin...

MUAH!!

#GOHAWKS

No comments:

Post a Comment